I'm the wife to an amazing man and the mother to 2 wonderful sons!
This blog is about sharing my adventures in breastfeeding, cloth diapering, raising my sons, being a wife, and life in general. So join me on my journey and share in all of the adventures we're sure to have along the way!
I've been cloth diapering for 5 months now; anyone who knows me knows that I absolutely LOVE cloth diapering. Some might not know why, though. I still get those occasional "are you crazy?" comments. But I think if everyone knew how truly EASY it is to cloth diaper, they wouldn't think I was so nuts. So, here are a few reasons why I love cloth diapering and wish everyone would try it:
1. It's cheaper than buying disposable diapers and wipes. We've probably spent around 500 dollars on all of our cloth diapering products. If we were buying disposables, we would easily spend 500 dollars in the first year!! And that's only on one child. We plan on having more children and with cloth diapers we won't have to buy a new stash for the next one.
2. It's healthier for my baby's bottom. The only thing touching his butt is cloth! There are no chemicals or anything else that might be in disposables.
3. I don't ever have to run to the store or send my husband to the store to get more diapers. If I'm running low, I throw them in the washer. It's that easy.
4. Washing them is easier than most would think. It requires very little detergent and the detergent needs to be the cheapest you can find (since it has the least amount of additives). Also, with my stash of approx. 24 diapers, I only have to do one extra load of laundry twice a week. And it's the best kind of laundry because there's no folding aftewards--just stuffing the inserts!
5. They are so adorable! I love all the colors that bumGenius has to offer. And really, it's not just bumGenius. Several cloth diaper makers have lots of color and print options.
6. They go on just like disposables (depending on the brand you use). I prefer the velcro type cloth diapers, but there are snaps and of course, covers and prefolds. But there are NO pins and NO plastic pants.
7. It's better for the environment. I'm not sending hundred of diapers to the dump every month.
8. They also aren't sitting in a trashcan in my house for a week until trash pick up *yuck!*
9. There's no more of an 'ick' factor than if you were using disposables. Poop isn't less icky in a disposable. And if the thought of pulling out an insert grosses you out, you can buy All-in-ones and not ever have to touch or even see the poo before you put it in the washer!
10. If I'm traveling out and about, I can just wad the diaper up and stuff it in a ziplock. It contains the mess and smell!
I'm sure the longer I cloth diaper, the more reasons I'll have to love it. So, for now, I encourage you to check out today's cloth diapering: